Recipe by Twyla Teitzel
This delicious chili brings together the fall flavors of pumpkin and apple to make a very delicious and satisfying meal. Have it over some millet for an extra treat!
- 3¼ cup cooked and drained Chili Smith Painted Pony Beans (about ½ bag)
- ¾ cup organic pumpkin puree (about ½ can)
- 1 Tbsp organic no-salt tomato paste
- 1½ cup no-oil vegetable broth - ideally homemade with no salt, oil, or sugar added
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp Burlap & Barrel Smoked Pimentón Paprika
- 2 small organic lime zested & juiced
- 3 cloves organic garlic, minced
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 organic apple, diced (we like it with the skin left on)
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- In a high speed blender, add the pumpkin, ¼ cup Chili Smith Painted Pony beans, tomato paste, coriander, cumin, Burlap & Barrel Smoked Pimentón Paprika and lime juice. Process until smooth.
- In a large saucepan, sauté the onions.
- Once the onions are translucent, add the garlic and sauté for a minute or two.
- Add the apples and celery, and continue to sauté until soft.
- Pour in a couple tablespoons of broth to deglaze the pan and then pour in the remainder of the broth, the puree from the blender, the lime zest, and the remaining beans.
- Bring to a low simmer and cook for about 30 minutes until the flavors have come together and enjoy!